Sunday 28 October 2012

QUENCHING THE FIRE?


READ: ROMANS 1:15-18

In Acts 4:15-18, Peter and John were warned by the church leaders not to speak or teach in the name of Jesus Christ. This was after a man born lame had been miraculously healed. But Peter and John answered: “Whether it be right in the sight of god to hearken to you more than to God, judge you. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4:19-20). The devil used threats to silence Peter and John from preaching God’s Word but they refused to be stopped and separated from their source of power. No true believer will be comfortable keeping quiet about Jesus. Today Christians still fall far short of the standard laid down by the Early Church. Authorities tried to stop the disciples but they would not be stopped. Today, nobody tries to stop us from sharing the Gospel news. We stop ourselves.
I pray God gives you the Jeremiah experience. “Then I said, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name. But His word was in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” (Jeremiah 20:9). When Jeremiah resolved not to speak God’s Word again, the Word became fire burning his bones so that he could not but speak out. Paul says: “For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe to me, if I preach not the gospel!” (1 Corinthians 9:16).  
There should be something inside you that compels you to preach the Gospel to those you meet. Compassion is one. Unsaved people are already sentenced to hell. It is accepting the Gospel message that removes that sentence. There is also woe – judgement on believers who refuse to preach to others, as the blood of the sinners will be on their heads. Nobody’s blood will be on my head – I take soul winning to be extremely important. Do not allow shyness, a low education level, procrastination, lack for money and other excuses to prevent you from sharing the Good News. Your reward will be great.

MEMORIZE: JEREMIAH 20:9 –Then I said, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name. But His word was in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.