Tuesday 16 August 2011

ENTANGLED BY SIN


READ: 2 CORINTHIANS 12:7-9
There are hidden faults in the lives of many people. These hidden weaknesses usually thrive in the secret gardens of people’s hearts. These weaknesses are oftentimes unnoticed. It is very easy to hide your faults when certain aspects of you character and comportment are appreciated by those who are close to you. Do you know that it is possible for a man’s ego to be blown out of proportion? Won’t you be surprised to discover that a man like Paul the Apostle had a hidden fault? I shall give you some scriptures to reiterate this point. It was not easy to detect pride in Paul’s life. For example, in 2 Corinthians 12:11, Paul said, “I have become a fool in boasting; you have compelled me. For I ought to have been commended by you; for in nothing was I behind the most eminent apostles, though I am nothing. ” He was complaining here of not being commended by the people. This shows that, though he said he was nothing, he indeed, craved after glorification. In Philippians 3:4-6, Apostle Paul also said: “Though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.” Obviously, he was conscious of certain things he could take pride in. God however had mercy on Paul. Let us also look at 2 Corinthians 12:7-9: “And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” Here, Paul the apostle owned up to the fact that he was battling with the urge to become exalted above measure. Do you know that it is possible to become proud of your spiritual gifts? If Paul could fall into that trap, who are you to think yourself infallible? God allowed the messenger of Satan to buffet Paul. This was to save him from destruction. God later told him that His grace was sufficient for him. If not for the grace of God, Satan would have entangled Paul. Even Paul did not notice this flaw in himself. The Lord detests the proud. Are you proud? Do you raise your shoulders high? Repent today. God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.
MEMORIZE: 1 PETER 5:5 –Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.