Friday 29 July 2011

IRREVERSIBLE BLESSINGS


READ: NUMBERS 23:19-24
Blessings are irreversible in nature. However, God may be forced to cancel or reverse your blessings if you fall below expectations and fail to make amends. This should not be taken as a sweeping statement. Let me clear this point. No man can reverse the blessing that God has given you. This is clearly stated in our text: “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that he should repent. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.” Even the man who places a blessing on you cannot reverse it. When Jacob stole the blessing of Esau, Isaac could not reverse it. “Then Isaac answered and said to Esau, Indeed I have made him your master, and all his brethren I have given to him as servants; with grain and wine I have sustained him. What shall I do now for you, my son?” Jacob’s blessings were irreversible. When God has blessed you, no man can reverse it, except you. You can tell God that you do not need His blessings. Even then, you have to force Him to remove it. In 1Samuel 2:30, God sent a message to Eli: “Therefore the LORD God of Israel says: I said indeed that your house and the house of your father would walk before Me forever; but now the LORD says: Far be it from Me; for those who honor Me I will honor, and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed.” We often force God to reverse His blessings by failing to keep our own side of bargain. Another example is that of Ephraim. After God had blessed him, he forgot God. God pleaded with him to retrace his steps but he cared less. Ephraim preferred to serve Baal. To end it all, in Hosea 4:17, God aid: “Ephraim is joined to idols, let him alone.” I pray that you will never get to that stage where God will decide you be left alone. In Hosea 5:9, God continued His rebuke of Ephraim: “Ephraim shall be desolate in the day of rebuke; among the tribes of Israel I make known what is sure.” May you never be desolate, in Jesus’ name. However, the ball is in your court. If you refuse to make amends quickly, God will have no option than to reverse the blessings. May the Lord help you! Amen.
MEMORIZE: PROVERBS 23:20 –Do not mix with winebibber, or with gluttonous eaters of meat.