Wednesday 5 October 2011

THE GOAL


READ: 1 CORINTHIANS 9:16-27
Perhaps, the mot important thing in life is a goal. To go through life without a goal is to allow the boat of your life to drift aimlessly on the sea of life. What are your goals in life? We come across an instructive statement in Genesis 17:1; “When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless.” When somebody makes a move, the first thing that comes to mind is the purpose as well as the direction he or she follows. The movement must lead to a target. For example, Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:26; “Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.” In other words, Paul had a goal. To walk, you must have a goal. Also, a fellow headed towards a goal must have seen the goal, either with the physical eye or the spiritual eye. For example, if I want to go to the toilet, with the eye of my mind, I shall see my sitting position when I get there. Or, if I want to travel, even before take off, I must be seeing my destination with the eye of the mind. One verse leaps at me from the text; “These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.” Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... all saw afar off where God was leading them. You too can see afar off where you are going. Spiritually, the one who walks towards a goal must be determined to reach the goal. Do you really have goals? How prepared are you to reach the goals? Are you ready to pay the price of achieving your goals in life?
MEMORIZE: PSALM 46:1 –GOD is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.