Sunday 6 February 2011

CUSTOMISED FAITH


READ: PSALM 121:1-8
The extremely wealthy often order customised cars from renowned automobile manufacturing companies. The customised car is specially made for the owner. In the same vein the Bible teaches us that faith can be customised. You can manifest faith in a unique manner. One of the most beautiful chapters in the Bible is PSALM 121. It is rich and full of assurances to the pilgrim. The Psalmist started by using the word, “I” and not “we” or “you”. David discovered very early in his life that God is interested in you as an individual. The way God deals with you may be different from the way He deals with anyone else. As a matter of fact, backed by Bible references, we know that God deals with people individually. We all know that Jehovah was the Shepherd of all Israel but not all Israel regarded themselves as sheep. God was willing to take care of the whole of Israel but there were some people in Israel who preferred to worship the idol Baal. “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” I cannot speak for you when it comes to doing the will of God. I cannot speak for you when it comes to living a life of holiness. I can only make up my mind about what I want to do and the way I want to relate with my God. You may want to add some things to the name of Jesus. This is up to you. It is your choice. When you speak about decisions concerning the things of God, the only people you can include are those people you have absolute control over. These include your children (if they are the type you can control). Joshua said in JOSHUA 24:15, when he was talking to Israel: “And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD,  choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” He did not even say “as for me and my tribe” or “as for me and all the children of my father.” He was only sure of himself and his immediate family. Today, you can take a cue from the Psalmist by personalising your faith.
MEMORIZE: PSALM 121:2 –My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.