Saturday 30 April 2011

IT IS WELL

READ: 2 KINGS 6:24
            2 KINGS 7:1-20
In our text today, we read of a woman who consented to boil her son for food. This is a terrible thing to do and it makes one tremble. We have some interesting information here, however:
(i) Whatever situation you may be right now, you should give glory to God because things could definitely be worse. Thank God because you have not reached that situation where you will eat your child. You will never reach that level, in the name of Jesus. In 1 Kings 17:8-16, we see another widow who said she had only one meal left for her and her son to eat and die. She had a problem but it was not as terrible as that which could make her eat her son. In 2 Kings 4:1-7, we see yet another widow who had two sons, about to be sold into slavery because of her debt. She had a problem but it was not as terrible as that which could warrant her eating her son. In whatever situation you may find yourself today, thank Jesus for it, because things could definitely be worse. When there life, there is hope. David says in Psalm 42:9-11: “I will say to God my Rock, why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? As with a breaking of my bones, my enemies reproach me, while they say to me all day long, where is your God? Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.” David had a lot of agonies but he ended up by saying he would still praise his God who is his Rock. T does not matter how terrible you think your situation is; you should learn how to thank God. You should think of the problems of others and be grateful to God. Yours is not the worst situation.
(ii) Parental love can fail but divine love will never fail. Isaiah 49:15 says: “Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb?  Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you.” Here, God asks a question and gives us the answer. He says here that even though a mother can forget her sucking child, He will never forget us. Today, I want to cheer up. Your situation is not the worst. After all, you are not dead. Your future is bright. Do not give in to discouragement. It is well.
MEMORIZE: PROVERBS 28:1 –The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.