Sunday 3 April 2011

SANCTIFICATION


READ: PSALM 84:1-4
Believers often ask, “How can I know that I have been sanctified? I have decided to devote today’s devotional session to exploring evidences of sanctification. The greatest desire of a favourite wife is to be beside her husband all the time. The greatest desire of the sanctified is nothing but divine presence, that is, for God to be present wherever you are and for you to be present wherever God is. In Psalm 27:4, David says:”One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. ” In Psalm 42:1-2, David puts it better form: “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?” He stated that his desire for God is like the thirst of a deer that has been chased in a hunt. In Psalm 84:1-4, he puts it in a stronger term. David said it is not just his soul that is thirsty for the living God but his heart and flesh are crying for Him. David must have been truly sanctified. No wonder, God called him a man after His own heart. David was not the first person to show a great desire for the presence of God. Moses also did. Moses went to the mountaintop to receive the Ten Commandments from the Lord. He was there for forty days and forty nights. He was in the presence of the Almighty God. As Moses was coming back, after receiving the Ten Commandments, he heard a sound from camp and Joshua said it sounded like the sound of war. Moses said it was the sound of people making merry. When they came near, they saw that the Children of Israel had made an idol for themselves, in the very presence of the glorious God. Moses was angry and he threw the Ten Commandments at the idol. He went back to God for help. God said He would destroy the people and start a new nation. Moses pleaded for the people and God decided to leave them. Moses said if God would not follow them, he was going also (Exodus 33:15). God then changed His mind. This shows that Moses was a favourite of God. He was sanctified. The presence of God meant so much to him. Are you sanctified? Do you desire God’s presence more than other things?
MEMORIZE: PSALM 27:4 - One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.