Friday 16 December 2011

PERTINENT QUESTIONS


READ: GENESIS3:9-21
I used to think that today’s text was meant entirely for sinners. However, as I studied the word of God more and more, I found out that, in many cases, what could be applicable to sinners is equally applicable to saints. I once listened to a sermon by Myles Monroe. The sermon really blessed me. In his sermon, he said there were five questions everybody must answer. The five questions are: Who am I? Where am I coming from? Where am I going? What can I do? Why am I here? He went to say that “Who I am?” is a question of your identity. “Where am I coming from?” deals with your heritage. “Where am I going?” deals with your destiny. “What can I do?” deals with your potentials and; “Why am I here?” has to do with the purpose for which you were created. Probably because of the little training I had in advanced Mathematics, each time I listen to an expert, I always seek to add to whatever the expert has said. When I reflected on the five questions Myles Munroe said every person must ask himself or herself, it occurred to me that the questions should be seven, and not five. Perhaps because seven is a perfect number, the two questions I added are: “Where am I now?” Monroe’s question, “Where am I from?” is talking about the beginning while “Where am I going?” talks about the end. But when we add the sixth question, “Where am I now?” we address the question of location and direction, which stems from the fact that when you talk of where you are going, you should, at regular intervals, check if you are headed in the right direction. Then the seventh question is “How much time have I left?” When you talk about of how much time you have left, you are talking of the divine timetable. This, incidentally, has nothing to do with age. These are pertinent questions. By the time you have finished providing answers to these questions, you should have come up with a clear perception of the purpose of your existence on earth.
MEMORIZE: GENESIS3:9 –Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, Where are you?