Monday 30 January 2012

PERSONAL SACRIFICE


READ: ACTS 4:34-37
We need to go back to the time of personal sacrifice. In the first century church, the idea was not centred on what believers could get but what they could give to God. Our text reveals how far the early believers went in self-sacrificing giving. They did not give what was sufficient; they gave sacrificially. They even went ahead to sell what was dear to them. I am not asking you to go and sell your house and bring the money to me. If you are led to do so by the Holy Spirit, God will accept it and bless you for it. I know that if you should be asked by anybody to do that, you are likely to laugh away the idea. Even if you hear the voice of the Lord telling you that, you are sure to say, “Get behind me,Satan”. However’, people have done it before. The reason why you believe certain things cannot be done is because you cannot do it. But some people love Jesus more than you do. Many of us are willing to do anything for our Lord because we can never pay Him for the salvation for our souls. Whatever you have done for Him cannot be compared with what He has done for you. There were personal sacrifices in those days. We need to get back to old-fashioned commitment if we want God to manifest Himself in our midst as He used to do in those days. I have come this far by the grace of God. Full of zeal, I tried to practically consume the Bible in the first year of my salvation. As PhD holder, I never knew the Bible. I was always embarrassed during Sunday School when ordinary market women answered with ease Bible questions which I did not know. I did no know that Thessalonians was in the Bible. I knew only Genesis, Psalm, Revelation and the Gospels. I knew all the formulas, as a lecturer in the university, but I did not know the first formula that would get me to heaven. Later, I made up my mind to study the Bible. I am reaping the fruits today. I have had to make lots of sacrifice in order to make a mark in the Kingdom of God. What will you do to make your life count?
MEMORIZE: ACTS 4:37 –Having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.