Sunday 3 November 2013

HAUGHTY WORDS



READ: DANIEL 4:28-32
In 1 Samuel 25:10-11, Nabal asked, “Who is David and who is the son of Jesse?” This was a statement loaded with pride. According to Isaiah 14:12-14, Satan was the first person to display pride in speech and attitude. In this passage, Satan used the word ‘I’ several times in a few sentences. In our reading, Nebuchadnezzar delivered a similar proud speech which landed him in serious trouble. Watch your language.
One thing about proud people is that they may not even know they are proud. The use of ‘I’ too often may be a pointer to pride in your life.
“See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with Me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound and heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand” (Deuteronomy 32:39).
There is only one person who is called ‘I AM’ (Exodus 3:13-14). If you are fond using ‘I’, you have to be careful lest you are indirectly equating yourself with God. If you do not desist from this, God might have to prove to you that beside Him, there is no other ‘I’. He will not share His glory with any other person. The speech of the proud usually gives him away as one who has forgotten his or her source. It does not matter what you have acquired. It is certain that you made nothing. All things were made by God (John 1:1-3).
Also according to James 1:7, you own nothing; God owns everything. He even put the breath of life in your nostrils (Genesis 2:7).
According to Daniel 4:32, He is the One in control of governments. He can make you a ruler of a nation or remove you as He pleases. God is the One who can undo whatever has been done. Submit yourself under the authority of His word. Never use your mouth against Him. If He is truly your Source, treat Him as such. Make Him happy in all you do. Whenever He uses you to perform miracles, openly give all the glory to Him. Always put Him ahead of you.
MEMORIZE: PSALM 12:3 –The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips and the tongue that speaks proud things.