Saturday 9 November 2013

HIGHER DEGREES OF SLEEP



READ: JOHN 11:11-14
Sin should never be tolerated in the life of a believer. Sin is a spiritual sleeping pill. The more you allow it, the more prone you are to sleep. The longer you tolerate it, the deeper your degree of sleep. Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against You.” Show me a sinning Christian I will show you one who is far from the Bible.
Deep sleep is a higher degree of sleep. It is the type that when it occurs, even if someone wakes you up, you would not immediately know where you are. It will take you sometime to recover full consciousness. One such case is recorded in 1 Samuel 26:12. If you are deeply asleep spiritually, it will be difficult to wake you up. The fellow would have reached the stage where sinning no more strikes him as wrong doing. When you steal God’s money little by little, you are dozing. When you begin to steal large amounts, you are sleeping. By the time you fall into a deep sleep, you will your treasurer to doctor the accounts. You do not mind doing it openly. Some pastors sleep with female members of the congregation. By the time they get to this level, they may divorce their wives and take in another so-called sister. Beware.
The sleep of death is that final degree of sleep that a backslider may not recover from. In Psalm 13:3, David prayed never to experience this.
“Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: Lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death.” This is a state of no return, otherwise known as apostasy. It is a situation where you begin to undo all you have done for the Lord. May you never get to this stage in Jesus name. The last is death. In our reading, Jesus Christ said Lazarus was asleep and he was going to wake him up. I pray you will not get to the stage where you will be referred to as dead. You can take steps to prevent spiritual death. Every step in dozing leads to a higher degree. Arise and be alive for the Lord from today.
MEMORIZE:  PSALM 13:3 –Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: Lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death.