Wednesday 16 July 2014

SLUGGISH



READ: PROVERBS 6:6-9
“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unawares” (Hebrews 13:2).
Abraham was hospitable. He was also agile. He was not sluggish. Many believers lose their blessings to laziness and sluggishness. In fact, some people will miss the kingdom of God because they are too sluggish. In 1977, I travelled in the company of some brethren to Kenya for a conference. After the programme, I told them we should be on our way to the airport but they differed. They asked why the hurry when we still had three hours to play with. I called them again and they refused. So I took my bag and headed for the airport. On the way, I ran into a serious traffic but arrived 30 minutes before the plane took off. By the time they arrived at the airport, the plane had already gone. They suffered in an unforgettable way. They had no extra money and knew nobody. Eventually it was the Nigeria Embassy there that made an alternative travel arrangement for their return home. Do not be sluggish in anything you do for the Lord.
In Genesis 18:8, Abraham was actively involved in the preparation of the food for his guests. Even though he was the head of the family, he acted like a servant. In some families, it is the housemaid who prepares food for the head of the family. It is an unhealthy development for the wife to abdicate such a sensitive duty to a maid. If the maid does it better than her madam, the latter may unnecessarily be opened her husband to temptation. Wives, protect your husbands. By the time his visitors were going Abraham saw them off and in the process got his miracle.
There are some little courtesy you do to people which can make a life long impact on them. I was invited to preach somewhere and my host lodged me in a very luxurious apartment. They also invited other men of God who were older than me but lodged each in a room. Surprised, I asked the couple why the seeming discrimination and the husband reminded me how they visited us at home sometime ago and my wife gave them food and water and she treated them as if they were royalty. He said they were overwhelmed for a whole week because of that treat. Sometimes, when people visit us we treat them so badly that they never want to come again. And you cannot tell when you will do that to an angel.
MEMORIZE: PROVERBS 20:4 –The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.